I am a poet, novelist and Professor in the Department of English and Creative Writing at Aberystwyth University. I am the author of
collections, Blizzard, Dragons, Whereabouts, Mandeville, Muscovy and The Mabinogi, two novels, WHOM and The Book of the Needle, and a collection of short stories,
Singing a Man to Death. I am also the editor of W.S. Graham's
New Collected Poems, and author of a study of
Graham, Where the People Are. I live in west Wales with my wife, Creina.
This site was last updated on 27 May, 2017. My poetic version of The Mabinogi will be published by Faber and Faber on 10 June. Read an extract from it here.
I also run a blog for Aberystwyth Chess Club.
On this site
- About my poetry and fiction
- My yearly newsletters, for anyone interested in my personal life (updated)
- Including some pop-up poems
- An opera writing course at the famous Festival centre (yellow pages)
- Travels in the Baltic republic (green pages)
- Twentieth-century Scottish poet whose work I have edited (blue pages)